Dispersion-based clear coats are becoming increasingly popular as efficient, versatile, and environmentally friendly coating materials with low VOC emissions.
The process of matting these coatings while still maintaining both excellent film appearance and excellent resistance properties is sometimes difficult, especially when using binder emulsions with higher minimum film formation temperature and glass transition temperature. Furthermore, when it comes to dealing with traditional matting agents, there are significant disadvantages presented by their form, which are mostly powder-based.
In a bid to counteract this situation and in response to the high demands of the market, a liquid product in slurry form that offers even better performance has now been developed by HOFFMANN MINERAL.
This report aims to highlight the performance of the new Gloxil WW SL in comparison to established, powdery silica matting materials using the example of a sensitive, water-borne, acrylate-based standard clear coat for wood. Particular attention is paid to the resulting effects on visual appearance, stain resistance to water, alcohol and ink; and to the improvement of handling and processing properties.
ADVANTAGES OF USINg GLOXIL WW SL
- no dust formation
- significantly improved dosing and incorporation
- faster and easier incorporation without high shear forces
- foam inhibiting effect
- improved early blocking resistance
- strong matting effect
- very high transparency without color cast and good long-term stability
- good wood grain, especially on dark wood
- outstanding early water and stain resistance
- subsequent addition to modify the degree of matting possible without loss of performance or problems
- excellent metal marking resistance (ring resistance)